This guide explains how to properly transfer the Steam Mobile Authenticator from 1 phone to another and get the minimal amount of Market and Trade hold/ban time, which is 48 hours.
How to Transfer the Steam Mobile Authenticator
Follow this step-by-step guide and your authenticator will be transferred over in no time, and you will receive the shortest possible trade/market hold.
- Download the app on your new phone.
- Enter in your username and password, then login.
- You will now be asked to enter the authenticator code. Instead of providing an authenticator code, tap the button that says I no longer have access to my authenticator.
- You will now be asked if you want to lock your account and begin account recovery, or if you would like to transfer the authenticator to this device.
- Choose the option that says transfer the authenticator to this device.
- Go through the verification process: it will send you an SMS with a verification code, then you must enter that code into the app. This should take no more than 30 seconds.
- Once it is all setup and you have the authenticator on your new phone test it somewhere. For example log out of your Steam Client and try to log in using the authenticator code on your new phone to confirm that it works.
- Once you have confirmed that it's working properly log out and uninstall the app on your old phone.
- You will now have a market/trading cooldown of 48 hours.